More News & Reports



John Widdowson, Hull's Head Coach, felt that Hull had been quite correct to see this game as one they had to approach with the right mind set as Leicester had plenty to offer in attack and defence.  Hull only felt they had eased to safety as the game entered the last five minutes.

John Widdowson felt that his side have been working hard all season to achieve this style of all round rugby with good defence and attacking options from all quarters of the field.

This victory saw Hull move up to fifth place and only five points away from second placed Caldy who they beat comprehensively last week.

It came as no surprise to see Leicester come at Hull hard from the first whistle but, even when that is expected, Leicester's off-half Dimmick gave Hull additional food for thought by scoring and converting his own try after just one minute of the game as he took full advantage of the fact that Hull were off guard.

In a game that saw both sides work for openings there was little to choose between them.  Hull's off-half, James Cameron, slotted over a penalty in the 14th minute and as the half drew to a close good work by the forwards saw Hull encamp near the Leicester Line and a couple of quick passes saw Wigglesworth touch down in the corner to give Hull a slender half time lead of 10-7.

After the restart Hull were first to score when a fine short pass from Hull's centre, Matt White, saw Slingsby angle his run to perfection to score a fine try which Cameron converted well.

Hull were always keen to run at the opposition but this can sometimes prove to be over adventurous and after 63 minutes Leicester's, Hale, intercepted a pass on Hull's 22 metre line when Hull had worked themselves into an overlap position.  The conversion by Collins served notice to Hull that Leicester were very much in the game.

With both sides looking to use their respective subs bench, it was Hull who were able to summon up that little bit extra as first Devonshire was on hand to take a delightful inside pass from Cameron to plunge over giving Cameron a relatively easy conversion attempt, and then Slingsby was again able to take advantage of another short pass from Matt White and although the try was not converted Hull could breathe a sigh of relief as they had now effectively put the game beyond Leicester.  Even so, the visitors were not finished and Williams scored an unconverted try for them after 70 minutes but Hull's hard working centre, Matt White, deservedly had the last word with a great try on 80 minutes.  Although unconverted it still saw Hull take the spoils with a 34-19 points victory.

Match Report by Richard Gore